Thursday, September 17, 2009

Part two.



I raced out to the garage with the backpack, the lunch bag, and a grocery bag with the completed forms and the required tissue and wipes and got in the car. Time was running out. The car was almost out of gas. Jill trailed after me with Charlie in her arms. I turned the engine over, put the car in gear and backed right into the garage door. Going forward, I ran over the lawn mower. Jill's exasperated eyes and Charlie's scared face told the entire story. If only I could get us there before the iron curtain lifted, everything would be okay.

As soon as Charlie caught sight of the church from the car window, he cried. "Don't want it! Don't want it," he yelled. Back bent and crying, Charlie dragged his heavy lunch bag to the stairs leading down to the class. It was a pitiful scene. He looked like he was being sentenced to prison labor camp, carrying his own tools.

But with minutes to spare we made it. The metal curtain rose. The seasoned parents heaved their children through the window. One, two, three children flew over.


I wanted to go in there with him, but I knew I couldn't. I had to let go of thinking that I can be everything, all the time for Charlie. He's got to learn to make his own way, stand up to the biter in class, be fearless on the playground, exert his will, and become who God created him to be. I made the transfer quick. I milled around outside for a few minutes. A mom exited and saw me loitering. She told me to go home and that Charlie had stopped crying.


Once home I looked at those pictures I'd taken of him. I hardly recognized him. Charlie is becoming a little man. After I stopped crying, Jill told me she was impressed that I brushed Charlie's hair.


I stood in front of the iron curtain again at the end of the day. It came up. The children rushed the opening like hungry piglets jockeying for an open teat. Charlie was near the back reaching his arms up and calling out for me. In the security of my arms, Charlie's face lit up. He was exhausted, but I think he had fun. Charlie fell asleep on the bike ride home through the park.

1 comment:

Army Mom said...

What does Charlie do during his day of play? (I know you're not there, but they surely have a schedule:)