Saturday, September 12, 2009

Make sure he's breathing





It rained off and on today. Dibble dibble dopp. Dibble dibble dibble dibble. Dopp dopp doop. The clouds moved quickly. Jill and I walked through the Aspens. They are tall. We saw some that looked like knotty elephant legs. Some of them looked backed at us. It took hiking a mile away from the village before we escaped the oompah of the polka music. Finally. Fricker was wearing the same tight lederhosen and playing the same old tunes.


I talked to Charlie over the phone. He played us "Clementine". I miss checking on him at night in his crib. It always a surprise to see the position he ends up in or which end of the crib he rests his head. Sometimes it is neither end. I can't remember the last time I slept with my head at the foot of the bed. It makes me feel awkward imagining it. He's so cute when he's curled up in a ball with his legs tucked under him and his big diaper sticking up in the air.


I worried the other day during his nap. It had been almost three hours and I hadn't even heard him stir. Normally I wouldn't dare open the door and risk waking him prematurely, but I broke my rule out of fear. As quietly as I could I turned the handle down and cracked the door. It took me a minute to locate him amid the animals and blankets and pillows. He was on his stomach. His head was burrowed in a green blanket. His legs were splayed apart and covered in blue and white striped pajama pants. His diaper poked out of his waistband. I steadied my eyes on his body waiting for a sign. Then I thought I say motion. Maybe a shallow rise of his back. I couldn't be sure. I blinked my eyes. The tent mesh and the crib bars fooled my vision, exploited the astigmatism in my right eye. I waited longer just to be sure. I got nervous. I wanted to go in there and try to rouse him, but I didn't. I also worry that I'll wait too long to start chasing after him when he runs toward the street. Then I saw movement for sure. That was a relief.


It's a relief to be coming home too. I see it too up in the sky. Goodnight moon.









No comments: