Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Challenge

I took Charlie to playschool today and a first happened. He didn't cry at all. On the way there, I explained to him what was about to transpire and exactly how I expected him to react.

"Charlie," I said, "we're going to preschool and you're going to have fun."

I kept talking, not giving him the option to whine.

"That's right. I'm going to take you to your preschool class. Your teachers will be there and all your friends are going to want to play with you and you are going to have fun."

"Fun?"

"Yes and you are not going to cry today when I drop you off. I want you to show me you are a good boy."

"Good boy."

"I am going to take you to class and your are going to carry your backpack to the door. No crying. You are a good boy. We are going to walk down the stairs. You will carry your own bag. If you require assistance, you may ask me, but no fussing. Say please."

"Please."

"Not now, just if you need help."

"When you get into the classroom, all your friends and teachers will be there. I want you to go get a book and start reading it to them. Get "Goodnight Moon". Open the cover and begin reading. You know it."

"Know it."

"And tell everyone you see what sound the "oo" makes. Like the "oo" in good and the "oo" in moon. If you can do this successfully and without crying, we will have something fun to do when I come back to get you."

"Fun! Come back."

"If you do as I have asked, I'll … I'll take you to see the Rockies."

"Baseball!"

Tune in Thursday for highlights of our trip to Coors field to see the Brewers take on the Rockies.

1 comment:

Army Mom said...

WOO HOO!! I don't think I can wait for the next blog to see what happened. Maybe you should sent me a text preview. :)