Sunday, August 16, 2009

August 15, 2009

The night is slowly reclaiming the sky.

It would be pleasant except for the wind.

The steamer hisses.

A nervous girl works the register. She makes me twitchy. She doesn't wear glasses, but she did. I can just tell.

A man wearing a plastic lei around his neck orders eight hot chocolates for eight cold children.

Leather coats and jeans are reacquainted with their owners.

Shrubs are on sale now at the big orange box.

Who would be foolish enough to plant now?

I bought two five gallon Blue Holly's and a dirty bag of steer manure. I put them up near the house. I need another bag of crap.

Charlie says "prickles" when he sees a plant. "Prickles. Ouch. Careful. Watch-out."

The pink roses down by the mailbox are fading. The edges of their pointy leaves are brown and ragged.

What's the point in snaking the hose across the crunchy grass to water the Russian sage and the Blue Beard? Charlie grunts when he says the word "hose".

The lawn guy came to door. Charlie and I met him there. He had a uniform and a badge and a push-broom mustache. I spoke to him through the screen. He asked me if I'd be interested in having the weeds in my yard treated for 'next to nothing'. I said 'Tell me more.' We found out 'next to nothing' is $35. I said "What weeds?"

The neighbor girl from across the street chased her dog into our back yard again today. She was wearing a black dress. I really need a fence.

The next door neighbor left half a bottle of laundry detergent on our front porch. He finally got a concealed weapons permit. His dog is too old to run.

Charlie said "Texas-Papa" with an accent. Papa works in Texas. We put a Crib Tent on crib so he can't get out. Jill made me pretend to get excited about it after I said it looked like a prison cell. I then pretended to get excited about Charlie's prison cell.

I have been a full-time father for exactly one year. Jill let me sleep in until 10am. I would have remained in bed if it weren't for Charlie kicking me.

I read most of a book today. It takes place in Belgium. I finished it. It was called Resistance.

Charlie loves prunes. He said so. "Love it." Jill said to quit feeding him prunes and mixing his milk with Miralax.

No comments: